You can start your day feeding the pelicans at San Remo before heading over the bridge onto the island. Head to Cape Woolamai – a renowned surfing destination – then onto historic Churchill Island, home to a large number of wetland birds. See koalas from the treetop broadwalk at the Koala Conservation Centre then on to Cowes to stop for lunch. Just before sunset, head to Penguin Parade, watching hundreds of Little penguins returning to their burrows on Summerland Beach after a day at sea.
Australia’s oldest steam railway travels 25 kilometres through the beautiful forests and fern gullies of the magnificent Dandenong Ranges to Emerald Lake park and Gembrook. Operating Daily (except Christmas Day). Trains depart from Belgrave, only 30 minutes from the motel. ‘First Class’ lunches and dinners are also available in the dining carriages.
William Rickets Sanctuary
Many people travel across the world to witness this vision of a truly remarkable man. The beautiful mountain ash forest is a perfect setting for this blending of natural and spiritual realms. William Ricketts purchased the land in 1935 and in the ensuing years created kiln – fired clay sculptures of aboriginal figures which he set among the rocks and tree ferns.
His affection for and knowledge of Aborigines was engendered by his visits to Central Australia where he lived for some time with the Pitjantjatjara and Arrernte people. He was a true environmentalist before it was fashionable. This place of beauty and tranquility with its half hidden mystical sculptures is a testament to this remarkable man philosophy – that the natural environment is entrusted to us all and by nurturing the earth we nurture life.
The Dandenong Motel is also located in a most convenient location in relation to Melbourne’s CBD. It takes only 40 minutes by train and 35 minutes by car to reach Flinders Street – the heart of the city of Melbourne. Melbourne’s metropolitan has a vast array of places to visit:
- Crown Entertainment Complex
- Southbank (restaurant and shopping precint)
- Parliament House
- Melbourne Museum
- Botanical Gardens
- Federation Square
- IMAX cinema
- Lygon Street (cafe and restaurant precint)
- Queen Victoria Market
More Information About Dandenong
- Melbourne Tullamarine International Airport – 45 minutes by car
- Avalon Airport – 60 minutes by car www.avalonairport.com.au
- Melbourne Central Business District – 30 minutes by car www.whatson.melbourne.vic.gov.au www.visitvictoria.com.au www.visitmelbourne.com
- Dandenong Ranges and Puffing Billy Steam Train – 20 minutes by car www.dandenongrangers.com www.puffingbilly.com.au
- Close to all major business areas and corporate business parks in the South Eastern corridor www.greaterdandenong.com
- Phillip Island and Penguin Parade – 70 minutes by car www.visitphillipisland.com
- Dandenong Fresh Market – 15 minutes walk www.dandenongmarket.com.au
- Dandenong Plaza incorporating Myers department store, cinemas and dining outlets – 15 minutes walk www.dandenongplaza.com
- Drum Theatre Live shows and entertainment – 23 minute walk www.drumtheatre.com.au
- Sandown Race Course – Home of the Sandown 500 & Easter Nats and Horse Racing Club – 5 minutes by car www.sandown.net.au
- Dandenong Basketball Stadium – provides senior domestic basketball competition for teams in A grade through to F grade – 5 minutes by car www.dandenongbasketball.org
- DFO – wide range of retail direct factory outlets – 20 minutes by car www.dfo.com.au
- Woodlands Golf Club – Home of the Victorian Open – 15 minutes by car www.woodlandsgolf.com.au
7:00am – 10:00pm
8:00am - 10:00pm
147 Princes Highway
Dandenong VIC 3174
Phone: 03 9794 0599
Fax: 03 9706 7489
Let us know if you have any questions.